Friday, 27 March 2015

Dreams and Schemes

One handy thing about blogging is accountability. It's harder to procrastinate now that I've 'come out' as a writer; it's not something I've tended to discuss with my friends for fear of waffling on unintelligibly about plot bunnies or having to actually produce some finished work that I deem 'readable' (I self-published a handful of novels a while back but they are so howlingly bad I don't generally acknowledge their existence). I was quite surprised that when I put a photo of my workspace on Instagram and Facefail, people were actually interested, which was sort of how I stumbled into the decision of setting up this new blog.

But now that I've publicly admitted to the fact that I like to write stuff, I feel like people will KNOW if I, say, spend three hours making iTunes playlists for each of my protagonists rather than, y'know, actually writing anything. Not that I do that. *ahem*

So this new-found accountability helps me work harder, which is great. I was thinking about this today, and I wondered if I could use it to help me get other things done in my life as well. I'm sure we all have a list of things we're always intending to get done... this month, or next month, or the month after that. Mine is quite a long list, and it's starting to seriously bug me.
I couldn't find a relevant photo for this post so here's a picture of me being a douchebag in a hotel room, circa last summer.
I have chosen a random date (June 3rd). Importantly, this date is a couple of paydays away, and between now and then, I intend to:

  1. Save up some money to go shopping, outside of my tiny hometown, upon that date. I am sick to death of looking in my wardrobe and thinking 'blah'. 
  2. Clear out the things I already have. This is an ongoing project. I have been clearing out for a couple of years, quite literally, but I work in a secondhand shop and clearly have some sort of hoarding problem so as fast as I get rid of things I don't need, I buy some more. I have some great things that I love to wear, but I can't find them amidst the heaps of other crap that have accumulated. I am going to actually finish clearing out my wardrobe, so that I have some space to start again with more of what I love. As opposed to things that I have bought because I was bored, or sad, or latching on to a random fad that caught my attention for 0.2 seconds.
  3. Go on a media diet. I spend a lot of time online looking for style inspiration, and whilst this can be a good and helpful thing, I feel like I'm overdoing it. My poor brain is bombarded with so many different ideas and influences that sometimes when I'm actually shopping I'm not sure what I really like or would be happy to wear. I'm hoping that if I take a bit of a break from Tumblr, Pinterest, magazines and blogazines I might have a better chance of buying things that fit my own, personal style. I will also have more time to devote to the other items on this list!
  4. Get some regular exercise. I started going to yoga classes last year and loved it, but had to quit when my work schedule changed. I have a stack of DVDs so that I can continue my practise at home. I'd also like to take up running again. And probably I should do some squats as well. (Do she got the booty? No, she don't.) I know that confidence has to start from within (it's a cliche because it's true) but I do want to feel fabulous and amazing in my new clothes, and let's face it, moving occasionally might help with that. 
  5. Meditate. Regular meditation is something I'd love to take up, but for some reason I keep saying I'll do it when I've finished clearing out, or when I've achieved this or that random thing. Procrastination! Needs to stop. 
  6. Pick up my guitar. I have two lovely guitars (an electric that was a present from my dad, and an acoustic that belonged to Gudrun, my grandma) which I hardly ever touch. It would be nice to learn how to play more than a few chords.
I'm hoping that, by giving myself a concrete list of things to start doing, and a date by which I want to be doing them, I can start living the way I want to and stop self-sabotaging. And by writing it down here, I will have to come back and admit to you guys on Wednesday, June 3rd, if I have continued to be incredibly idle over the next two months. >.<

What about you guys? How do you procrastinate? What would you rather be doing with your time?

16 comments:

  1. I am with you on the clothes hoarding problem, lol, I find it funny that someone like me who wants to live a simpler more natural life also has a lot of clothes, but I guess I just have to accept that is part of who I am. I op shop constantly but they have been really empty of good things recently, maybe opshopping is getting too trendy!

    I try to meditate, especially before bed to try and not have as weird dreams. I find the 10 minute guided meditations by Positive Magazine on YouTube really good.

    Yep I definitely need to keep motivated in writing. I finally combined my two major files for my novel yesterday which makes it less scary to start again. When all your writing is not in order, it's really hard to work out what you need to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second that! I've been reading about minimalism and downshifting and all that sort of thing and I'm finding it so positive and interesting but I also love clothes and I don't like to repeat outfits too much and blah blah, so I'm hoping to find a happy medium. I don't mind having a lot of clothes as long as they are all USEFUL, not just space consumers.

      Thanks for the tip! :-)

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your schemes, especially the clearing out *shudders*! I shall remember to check back here on the third to see how you've been doing ;)

    At the moment I procrastinate by doing research on Universities and just trawling through social networking sites and clothing shops as, although I do have a relatively nice wardrobe, my style has changed quite a lot these last few years and I no longer feel quite myself when I wear certain stuff.

    Yep! Writing motivation is needed for me too! I have written some fanfic (Being Human) but there's two pieces which I've started and have not gone back to... >.<
    Cross-stitch and drawing too. I need to do more of that. Planning a drawing of Brian Molko to do this Easter to help me keep sane whilst revising but heh, that's not gonna happen.

    And I /really/ need to look into getting driving lessons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss I know exactly what you mean about not feeling quite myself! The worst thing is when you have to go out in a hurry so you just grab something, but it's not completely 'you' so you spend a chunk of the day feeling awkward and self-conscious. Aargh! >.<

      Ooh I love Being Human :-D

      Ugh, driving lessons. I know I should, and I've picked up the form for my provisional, but, ugh, ugh, I don't wanna. Too scary! Too expensive!

      Delete
    2. Whoops! I'm sorry, I should have been checking on replies >.<

      Yes! Just... yes, completely.

      Yay! Another Being Humaniac! :D I find they're hard to come by so I've already recruited (hehehe) two new people. If you do want to read my existing fanfic it can be found over yonder https://www.fanfiction.net/~thetreehugger1 . Also, I know you love writing and reading and I would really appreciate it if you read my little story I've just posted up on my blog. ^.^

      Yeah, my thoughts exactly regarding Driving Lessons. I just constantly think 'What if I die? What if I run over someone?!' Not good.

      Delete
  3. I'm in the clothes hoarding club too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. clothes hoarding. A LOT, too. yes. i dont work in a thrifty and no good ones near my flat but i am addicted to all those tiny online shops XD. cut my money spending to only 1/4 of the amount i used each month and thinking of a way to put away 'unused' clothing... the money will instead go to my car and my new cave, moved in with no furniture at all and now finishing room by room :-)
    also, kind of media diet, too - facebook for me, far too much time on there.
    AAAND i set an alarm to my mobile for your june 3rd so no excuses! - seems like a lot of us have similar problems huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, my media diet has not got off to an auspicious start... I have Tumblr open in another tab as we speak >.< Only because I want to reblog something specific, which I'm telling myself is a perfectly good excuse. Ah well.... if at first you don't succeed, try, try again and all that jazz XP

      Delete
    2. something to disturb your media diet, i have no idea if you ever did this / are interested buuuut: liebster blog award for you <3 http://justkeepbrains.com/2015/04/03/liebster-award/

      Delete
    3. Haha yes I did one of these a looooong time ago :) Thank you muchly! <3

      Delete
  5. How do I procrastinate? That's easy. Almost every time I get on the computer to do something constructive I end up watching way too much concert footage. The next thing I know, I'm out of creative time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know that feeling well >.< I have a 'serious business' laptop with no internet, it's the only way I can ever get anything done.

      Delete
  6. The character playlists, you are not alone! My last blog post was written all about my labelling myself as a writer and how difficult I found it coming out of the closet, amongst other things. It's actually bloody hard being a writer, particularly when there are dogs to walk, dishes to wash, cake toeat.....! I can procrastinate with the best of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I'm popping over now to have a look at your blog! ^^

      Delete
    2. thanks for popping by and commenting :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...